Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tell the Truth in Love

23 He who rebukes a man will find more favor afterward
Than he who flatters with the tongue. Prov. 28:23 NKJV


Rebuking or correcting someone is never fun. I would much rather work, or be friends or spend time with someone who will tell me the truth or how they really feel than to hang out with someone who will flatter or lie to me. It might not "feel good" at the point of correction but I would not have to worry about how they "really" think or feel! Correction, when done right, brings about health!

I used to work with a lady that everyone in the office was afraid of! I wasn't because I knew that Shellie would shoot straight from the hip! She would tell me the truth! I never had to worry about her stabbing me in the back. I knew right where I stood with Shellie all of the time. I also worked with another lady. She was always nice to me and complimenting me but she would then turn around and cry to others about how I treated her. She was one I could not trust!

I am thankful for the people in my life who loves me enough to tell me the truth in love. Without those people I wouldn't have grown to where I am today. My husband was very faithful in telling me things that I didn't want to hear but being patient and loving by helping me in those areas of my life that needed "sanding." I wasn't always receptive or loving back but he loved me enough to help me!

Don't run from telling someone the truth. Stop and pray and ask God to help you to tell them the truth in love. I made a decision at one point in my life to not be a man pleaser and to commit to pleasing God. For me that meant sometimes keeping my mouth shut and just praying and other times it meant that I had to speak the truth. Is it fun? No but I would say that my friends know that I love them and I will tell them the truth...if you struggle with man pleasing or being in fear of someone not liking you if you tell them the truth that is not of the Lord. His desire is for us to be conformed in His Image. Lots of times that means there has to be some "sanding" to get to that smooth surface! Sometimes we get sanded and other times we have to do the sanding....ask Him for help and He will help you. Just remember to tell the truth in love not "love" to tell the truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment