Thursday, August 18, 2011

My New Friend, Hal

I have to share with you something that happened last night. Our youth group has been focusing on a new theme of PUR. Pure Undefiled Religion. Helping the orphans, widows, outcast and lonely. Well, last night Jesus gave me an opportunity to experience it in the flesh.

I had about an hour before I had to be at church to grab a bite to eat. Normally I would go home and eat but on Wednesday nights is "fend for yourself night" and the County Fair is the happening spot in Burley, Idaho. So I went to the fair! I bought a crazy spud for supper. For those of you who have never had a crazy spud, it is a huge potato that is cut thinly in a spiral so it is one ruffle! They then deep fry it and it is basically a huge heaping plate of fresh potato chips. You can sprinkle your own seasoning. I took my plate and went on a mission to find a place to sit in the shade on this hot fair day and enjoy my chips.

I found a bench with an older gentlemen sitting on it in the shade! I asked if he minded if I sat beside him. He smiled with excitement and said, "No, not at all and you can even sit closer!" I sat beside him. I started a conversation with him and offered him a chip. He gladly accepted. I continued to share this bounty of fresh made chips with my new friend Hal. He was careful to be polite and not to eat too many. I could just tell that he was hungry. I found out that Hal had been attending church for about a year at the local Calvary Chapel. I learned, from Hal, that there was another bench that you could sit on for eight hours and see new people all day long. It made me smile. He had been sitting here all day long. Before long, it was time for me to leave for church. I offered the rest of my crazy spud to Hal. He said, "Oh no I can't take your dinner." I explained to him that I was going to throw it away if he didn't take it. He quickly agreed to take the food.

I want to say how incredibly blessed I was by meeting Hal and sharing my dinner. I first set out to bless him but it ended up being the other way around. I hope to see Hal around town again. He told me that if I ever see him to holler at him!

Don't get so caught up in your own world that you miss out on meeting a Hal. Don't let the enemy distract you with drama that you miss out on a blessing. Take time to look for God moments. Remember that ministry is never convienent. Take just a moment of your busy schedule to share a smile or a kind word, or a crazy spud. It will so bless your day and life. I am looking forward to seeing Hal again. If not here I will see him in heaven. We will be able to share how we met at the Cassia County Fair over a plate of fresh potato chips.

Truly Blessed,

Shanin

No comments:

Post a Comment