Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Parenting

These six [things] the LORD hates, Yes, seven [are] an abomination to Him:
A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that are swift in running to evil, A false witness [who] speaks lies, And one who sows discord among brethren. Proverbs 6:16-19


Now if you knew there were seven things that God hated wouldn’t you teach your children not to do them? However sometimes we, as mothers, tend to excuse bad behavior when it comes to our kids. This does not do them any favors mom...if anything it is, by default, teaching our children to do things that God hates!
Can I see a raise of hands out there of some of you who has told “dad” that poor little Johnny is just tired so it is okay that he just smart mouthed you or threw a fit? One time when one of my sons was little he was being extremely grumpy and disrespectful and my husband started to discipline him and I intercepted a “But Babe, he is just tired or he doesn’t feel good.” My husband then very kindly told me, “Babe, he still has to obey even if he is tired or sick” Oh...I hated it but I knew he was right...thank You Jesus my husband very kindly pointed that out when he was three so I could correct it while he was still little.

Moms, do you have a teen that always seems to be in the center of trouble even though he is “innocent”? If so you might want to consider that your precious little Johnny or Connie might not be so innocent. He or she might have feet that are swift in running to evil. Remember God’s promise...a child left to his own ways will shame his mother.

It is so much easier to correct their little hearts when they are two or three than it is when they are thirteen or fifteen. I remember teaching my kids that Jesus gave them a spirit of self control and it was my job to teach them how to use it. Is that fun? No. Is it easy? NO! However I will tell you that if we are consistent with our kids (even when they are tired or when we are tired!) and we hold to the teachings of the bible it will be so worth it.

One more thing...if you see your child having an authority problem or struggling with rebellion may I suggest that you get before God and really examine your own heart to make sure that you aren’t struggling with those issues yourself?

The reward? I cannot tell you the joy and satisfaction I have when I see all of my kids serving Jesus today. Keep up the good fight...set the example...let your kids see you reading the Word of God... be consistent...it will pay off!

No comments:

Post a Comment