Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff!

13 Then they brought little children to Him, that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked those who brought them. 14 But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. 15 Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” 16 And He took them up in His arms, laid His hands on them, and blessed them. Mark 10:13-15 NKJ

I love this scripture because I love working with children. But we are kids too. I have been thinking...scary I know...how many new believers or people who are checking out Jesus or the church do we try to implement "rules" on them right away? Are we rebuking them or rebuking those who bring them? Does it really matter how they are dressed? Does it really matter what kind of make-up they are wearing? Jesus will change the important stuff as a relationship develops but if we are quick to forbid them for even coming to Him just as they are won't we be held accountable? Please notice that I said, "the important stuff."

In other words, don't sweat the small stuff. Leave it to God to speak to them at the right time. You might be instrumental in that or you might not be...I know that there are some things over the years I have changed in my life that might never would have bothered me years ago...Jesus was patient with me, He loves me. He brought these things to my attention and changed something in my heart. I am thankful that there were people in my life that loved me enough to overlook my immaturities and not make it an issue. Because of their love for me and Jesus they gave room for Jesus to work things in my heart without further injury.

If Jesus can overlook the small stuff, can't we? I don't want to get in the way of "kids" coming to Jesus. I want to see them crawl into His lap and for Him to bless them....the other stuff will come in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment