Thursday, January 22, 2009

Remember Who You Are Representing!

The Word of God says (about our tongue) With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring send forth fresh [water] and bitter from the same opening? James 3:9-11 NKJV


One evening I went to the Photo Center in Walmart. I asked about my one hour photos and the girl was very rude and short with me. She let me know that there was no way that my pictures would be done that night. I tried very hard to be kind to the girl but she just bit my head off! I left and came back the next morning. I was walking back to the photo department and I heard the Lord speak to my heart about this girl. He asked me what my plan was on how I was going to treat this young lady. I told the Lord, "You know she was so rude to me and I worked so hard to be extra nice and she was still rude!"

He answered me, "Yes, she was, but how are you going to respond to her?"

I told Him, "You know I could have her job!"

He answered me again, "Yes, but how are you going to respond to her, it is your choice."

I knew where He was going once again....I told Him that I would be kind and gracious. And I was thinking to myself that , she probably wouldn't be there. Well, I get back to the photo department and guess who was working there at the counter? Yep, it was her. I smiled and told her good morning and I asked how she was feeling today. I told her that I was so sorry that she had to work late and come in early and being pregnant and all (did I mention she was about 8 months pregnant?) it must be so hard standing all day long. She smiled at me. I felt better.

Well, fast forward three years. My husband and I were having a wedding at our church and guess who's daughter was the flower girl? Yes, indeed. And let me tell you I was so GLAD that I made the right choice that morning. If I would have thrown a fit think what she would have thought when she found out that I was a pastor's wife! My behavior would have been the witness and not a good representation of Christ! My prayer is that a seed was planted that day and one day she will accept Jesus.

So the next time you get impatient take a few seconds and think what you are about to impart with your tongue. It is a choice that you have to make...you know what the bible says! What will you do?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Shanin, another great message that I needed to hear. I have really been enjoying your messages to us. Keep it up, my friend. They are a real blessing.

    Carolyn in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Carolyn, Shanin. Love and thanks for your faithfulness in both your blogs!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. They really do encourage me!

    ReplyDelete