Monday, May 4, 2009

Your Tongue Can Bear Fruit!

20 And when the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, “How did the fig tree wither away so soon?”
21 So Jesus answered and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ it will be done. 22 And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” Matthew 21:20-22 NKJ


I have a funny story to tell you. Many years ago when my daughter was in fifth grade I had this big rubber tree plant that I loved. It was in a big pot and I made sure that the kids didn't rough house around it and I would dust the leaves and water it regularly. The plant would spit at you if you walked by it and my daughter hated it. She hated it because it would spit and she hated it because "I gave it too much attention!" LOL Well, she told me I am going to kill that plant...I told her she couldn't touch it...and she didn't but every time she would walk past it she would say, "I curse you in the Name of Jesus and you will die!" I would laugh to myself never believing for one moment that, that plant would die! Guess what? It died! I tried everything to keep it alive...I still laugh to myself because I know why it died! So does she! She is a grown mom now and she smiled and told me the other day, "Would you like for me to kill your plant for you?" That little turkey! We both laughed remembering my rubber tree plant!

Jesus cursed the fig tree because it didn't bear fruit. You know it is so important to be fruitful. Sometimes in order to be fruitful we have to be pruned and that never feels good and it doesn't even look pretty when you look at my trees or bushes but you know the result is amazing! After you come out of the pruning the new life is so beautiful. Stick close to the vine and draw your strength from Jesus!

The second thing this scripture talks about is faith. My daughter had the faith that my rubber tree was going to die! Funny as that is...it really did die. Our tongues can edify us and help build our faith or the tongue can tear down your faith! We need to be careful what flows out of our mouth! It needs to be fruitful and life giving. Our tongues need to encourage others and help build other's faith. Speak the Word! It never comes back void. It is the truth! It is alive and breathing.

One of the things I do when I get ready to pray for someone is to tell them of the times that God has answered prayers just like the one we are getting ready to pray for! It not only builds their faith but it stirs something inside of me too!

Faith is amazing...it only takes a little bit to grow...like the Word says that faith like a mustard seed! Have you seen the size of a mustard seed and how big the plant gets? God is amazing and I am so glad that I serve Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment